Sometimes during the course of training, a dog will demonstrate that they do not enjoy service work, or something about their temperament or physiology will prevent them from completing our training program. In these instances, the dog will enter our Career Change Program, where we place them as a pet in a carefully screened, loving home.
It is our commitment at Saint Francis to be sure that all of our dogs, regardless of their ultimate career as a service dog or pet, will enjoy a healthy, safe, and happy life. If you can provide a loving home for one of our wonderful career change dogs, please review the information and fill out the Career Change Application below.
Career Change Application
Selection of a home for a career change dog is made at the sole discretion of Saint Francis Service Dogs. Criteria considered for selecting a home for a career change dog include, without limitation:
- A loving and stable home
- Safe environment for the dog
- Financial ability to provide for the dog’s nutrition and health needs for the life of the dog
- Household schedule such that the dog will receive enough attention and exercise
- Individual characteristics – i.e. we will avoid a home with children if the dog is afraid of children.
- Must live in the state of Virginia, or within a three hour driving radius of our training facility at 8232 Enon Rd, Roanoke, VA 24019
Placements are NOT made on a first come first served basis, but are thoughtfully matched based on the dog’s personality and needs and the applicant’s home environment, lifestyle, and preferences.
An adoption fee of $2,000 is due at the time of transfer of ownership. This fee will not be due until screening, matching, placement, and a 30-day probation period are complete.