• Service Dogs - Placing professionally trained service dogs with qualified partners is the
primary program at Saint Francis. Service dogs are capable of performing many useful
tasks, including going for help, picking items up, opening and closing doors, retrieving the
phone and turning lights on and off.
• Veteran Dogs - Saint Francis places service dogs with veterans who have sacrificed
their physical health to serve our country. Service dogs for veterans do all the tasks
required of a service dog, as well as offer support for other combat-related issues.
• Facility Dogs - Saint Francis places expertly trained dogs who partner with a
professional working in a healthcare, courtroom or education setting. Facility dogs are
trained to do many tasks to assist with therapy, provide motivation and give comfort.
• Training - The Saint Francis training program is detailed, comprehensive, and designed
specifically for Saint Francis service dogs. The program is administered by professional
dog trainers to ensure all Saint Francis dogs are well-prepared for their work with a
• Puppy Raisers - Volunteers in the Roanoke area open their hearts and homes to Saint
Francis puppies, teaching them manners and socializing them so that they are ready to
grow up into service dogs.
• Prison Pups - Saint Francis partners with Bland Correctional Center , a medium
security men's prison, to teach inmates how to raise and train puppies for Saint Francis.
• Breeders - Saint Francis relies on top notch breeders to fill our need for excellent
dogs. Our breeders provide structurally good, physically healthy and tempermentally
sound puppies to our program.
• Career Change Dogs - Saint Francis places dogs that do not complete the training
program, as pets in loving homes carefully screened by Saint Francis staff and volunteers.
About Our Programs
Our operation relies on numerous programs which support our goals of assisting children and
adults with disabilities become more independent and self-sufficient through their partnership
with a professionally trained service dog, promoting the use and acceptance of service dogs
through public and professional education and providing advocacy for service dog partners and
supporting the growth of the service dog industry on a national level.
Below is a brief description of each of our programs. Follow the links on the left for more
Saint Francis thanks Purina for their support
For questions or additional information about Saint Francis Service Dogs contact us at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 540.342.DOGS (3647).
©Copyright 2016 | All Rights Reserved